Our couch has a few year and even is the general shape still look good, the fabric is worn. Have a closer look and you will understand…
Not good, and you can’t even see the stains on the pics. So something had to be done. As we can’t afford a new couch right now, I went to Ikea and bought 5 yards of thick fabric.
The couch shape is quite simple, I cut a fabric piece for the seating part, and another one for the back. I pinned and sewed them together. I worked with the fabric wrong side out throughout the covering process.
I cut and sewed the armrest pieces, and finish with the armrest front part.
First pin and then sew.
I didn’t want to have several cushions for the back. The kids always throw them away. I’m pretty sure they will keep doing the same with a big pillow, but at least I will only have one thing to pick up.
So I sewed a large back cushion, put everything in place….and wanted to cry!!! It looked worst than before! Damn.
First problem the cushion is to big. So I went to the fabric store to get some foam. I cut it and redo the pillow cover. I try again, but the back cushion was to high…aaaaarrrggg!!!! At this point I just wanted to give up.
So I took the foam out (again) and re-cut it. I adjust the cushion cover again (third time I was re-sewing this **** pillow)
I didn’t took pictures of all the re-doing process, I was to busy trying to fix the all thing!!…Here is the final back cushion. So I put everything in place again. It looks nice…until you seat in the couch! The fabric cover didn’t stay in place, it moves and sags. So, I had a nice couch where no one can sit! At this point, I took off everything and put it away for a few weeks.
I though on putting some straps to fix the cover or to make a extra cushion for the seating area.
Before making another test I washed and dried the cover…and it shrunk…and now it fit perfectly!
I was lucky on this one!
Note for later: Make the cover perfectly adjusted to the couch dimensions.
Happy with my almost new couch!!