DIY rug with old denims

I wear denims everyday, it’s like my uniform. As everything, after a while they become old and have holes. As I hate to throw away…even old clothes, I try to find ways to upcycle things. I already made a recycled denim basket, this time I give a try with a DIY rug. I love how it turns out. It’s not very complicated to make but it does take time to cut out and sew the fabric pieces together. The result totally worth the time, and my son have a nice rug to play on his bedroom.

The finished rug will have a diameter of 5 feet 10 inches. You will need at least 7 denims pants to complete this project. I use some of my pants, size 10, and others from my husband. The smaller the pants are the more you gonna need…for once I was happy not to be a size 6 😉

The first thing you need to do is drawing the pattern to cut out the pieces. Take some paper or cardboard you have around and trace a trapezoid. The large base dimension is 9 1/4, the high 27 1/2 and the small base is 2 inches (in centimeters this will be: 23.5 cm for the base, 70 cm high and 5.5 cm for the small side). You report the trapezoid shape on the denim and you cut out the piece, leaving 1 inch around for the seam.

You cut 4 pieces from each denim, you will need 24 pieces to complete the rug (which mean 6 pants…..I’m to good at math, I know 😉

A lot of cutting after you are ready to sew the pieces together.

Put two pieces wrong side on wrong side, and sew the long sides together.

Repeat with another piece, and another one…until you finished the circle. I had different denim colors, so I mix the pieces.

When all pieces are sewn, iron the seams. Don’t skip this part if you want to have a nice flat rug!

Here we are, almost done. Fold the edge through inside and make a seam.

Take the last pant and cut a circle of 1 1/2 feet (43 cm) in it. It’s fine if you need to sew fabric pieces together to make the circle. Pin the circle in the center and sew it with the rug. Iron the seam.

The rug is done! Happy dance!
Last and important step, if you want to avoid accident you need to put an anti-slip underlays. I use an ikea one and trim out the corners to fit the circle shape, but there is plenty of other options.
And now you can make a safe and happy dance on your new rug!

So what do you thing? Any other fabric we can use to make an upcycled rug?
If you like the crates storage in the picture below, take a tour HERE for the tutorial.

Share:

14 Comments

1. October 16, 2015 / 6:01 pm

Wow, this qualifies as the Rug of All Rugs. I must post this comment before I disappear into my hoarded boxes of old jeans…. the boxes which have mysteriously found themselves in every moving van, every truck through the years… along with my box of old socks for weaving… Thankyou for taking the time to write up the tutorial. Susan

2. February 14, 2016 / 3:10 am

I totally want to make this, but backing it would be awesome and maybe even squaring it off. This is a gorgeous rug and brilliant idea.

• February 14, 2016 / 5:05 pm

Let me know how it turns, and don't hesitate to leave an other comment if you need some help!

3. March 13, 2016 / 5:05 pm

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial! This rug is about to become a skirt! My daughter has an upcycle challenge for 4h sewing this year, my youngest thinks this is perfect!

• March 13, 2016 / 6:06 pm

Hello Anna, great idea to make a skirt!! Let me know how it turns!

4. May 15, 2016 / 10:34 am

Wow it’s a wonderful l lesson. We know lot of things on this article. A denim jeans is my favorite it’s too much comfortable and fashionable.

5. October 30, 2016 / 6:17 am

I love this idea! I have five boys and I'm sure you can imagine…we go through jeans! I have boxes, upon boxes (upon boxes) of denim! I can't wait to make this rug!

• November 2, 2016 / 1:56 am

I can imagine that with five boys you may be able to make a denim rug for each room of your house! Have fun sewing, and don't hesitate to share it! I would love to see your finished rug!

6. Andrea Jane
    May 4, 2017 / 5:37 am

Thank you for sharing you photos and tutorial. I had several old pairs of jeans from when I was size 0/2. I saved them thinking I'd shrink myself back into them. My relationship with these old jeans was unhealthy so, I decided to transform them & our relationship into something different. This was my first sewing project and I'm happy with the way it turned out. The smaller jeans barely had enough fabric so, I had to include more of the jeans' seams. I like the way the seams look, though. I backed it with an old quilt so, it can be used as a throw quilt or a rug.

• May 4, 2017 / 11:22 pm

I'm glad you turn you old denims into something nice and useful! I would love to see some pics if you'd like to share you can message me at amaohoh@gmail.com

• May 8, 2017 / 2:25 pm

Great rug! Thank you so much for sharing!

7. Gwen
    August 9, 2017 / 4:22 pm

I’ve made all sorts of things with thrifts store denim, but would have never thought of this awesomness! Thank you.

• amaryllis
      August 9, 2017 / 11:55 pm

You are welcome! Have fun sewing you own denim rug if you decide to make one 😉