DIY lamp with a bottle + Tutorial / Lampara con una botella

Another version of the classic lamp made with a bottle. I have seen many DIY painting on glass on blogs lately. It gave me the idea to paint the bottle. I just put acrylic paint in the bottle and turned it on itself to spread out the paint everywhere. Then I left drained it a few hours, and let it dry a few days. I don’t know if it will hold over time, but for now, it looks nice.

Otra versión de la clásica lámpara hecha con una botella. He visto a muchos DIY de pintura sobre vidrio en los blogs últimamente. Esto me dio la idea de pintar la botella. Puse pintura acrílica dentro la botella y la gire sobre sí misma para extender la pintura por todas partes. Después dejé la botella drenarse unas cuantas horas, y la deje secar unos días. No sé como la pintura quedara después de un tiempo, pero por ahora, se ve bien.

Here comes the tutorial, let start with the material you will need:
Aquí empieza el tutorial, vamos a empezar con el material que van a necesitar:

Then the steps to follow:
Después los pasos a seguir:

Et voila!

If you like it, make your friends enjoy this post!

Share:

28 Comments

1. September 29, 2012 / 4:55 pm

Thanks Patti!….I'm sure people will think I'm paying you to comment!

2. November 19, 2012 / 5:56 pm

!Preciosa lampara! Nunca he pensado en poner el color en el interior de la botella, es maravilloso… y la tecnica de los tenedores: ¡magnifica! Muy buena realización, cierto.
    tanika

• November 21, 2012 / 9:20 pm

Gracias! Solo hay que usar una pintura especial para vidrio. Porque el acrílico que puse no quedo bien al final!

3. January 19, 2013 / 6:49 pm

SIMPLY AMAZING!! lo acabo de encontrar y es algo que voy a hacer para mi nuevo apt.

• January 24, 2013 / 3:47 pm

Thanks! I didn't paint on plastic. I paint on paper with acrylic and slide the paper sheet around the plastic one!

4. Anithra
    January 31, 2013 / 2:22 pm

Hello Ama, I am a little confused. On pictures 1-4 the tube that was created from cardboard and the wooden sticks are attached to the lamp, then on pictures 5 and 7 the tube and the sticks are attached to the lampshade. I actually have a project in college where we have to make a lamp and this would be a fantastic idea for my lamp, so I am in need of a little clarity.
    Also in your explanation of the materials that are needed you didnt mention the socket that the light bulb screws into. Was there any electrical wiring involved with attaching the power cord to that socket? I have never made a lamp before so forgive me for my ignorance.

• January 31, 2013 / 3:30 pm

The cardboard tube fits over the neck of the bottle, I put this photo for a better understanding (not very useful;).
      So the steps are:
      1. Make the tube
      2. pass the stick through the tube
      3. pass the cable through the tube and connect it to the plug socket (you must open the plug socket and screw the wires on metallic lugs).
      4. fix the lampshade on the wood with push pins and glue
      5. assemble and glue the lampshade on the neck of the bottle.
      That's it! I hope this is clearer! Have a nice day!

• Anithra
      February 16, 2013 / 8:11 pm

Yes! Thank you ,that was very helpful. I am sure I will get an A when I do make the lampshade for a grade in my lighting class! I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. You are very creative. Thank you!!

5. February 10, 2013 / 10:11 am

This looks great. We will be moving soon, and I want some new decor on the cheap, and this is so easily customizable. How did you colour the bottle though?

• February 10, 2013 / 8:41 pm

With acrylic paint….but it didn't work! The paint fell to the bottom! I'll have to try with special paint for glass! Let me know if you find a better solution!

6. June 14, 2013 / 7:41 pm

WOW!!! In your blog is so much great projects that I want to try…oh my…why did I founded your blog? 🙂

• June 14, 2013 / 11:10 pm

hahaha!!! Thanks Neda..and have fun crafting 😉

7. Anonymous
    July 24, 2013 / 5:31 pm

Where did you get the plastic sheet?

• July 24, 2013 / 7:37 pm

At Lumen store (lumen.com.mx), you must find it on any art supply store.

• michelle
      July 24, 2013 / 10:33 pm

Thanks sooo much!

8. October 22, 2013 / 6:13 am

Wow. I really loved your creativity. The lamp which you have made is really looking very different. I think its a kind of lamp which i have never seen. The method which you have told to make this lamp is sounding easy. I will definitely try this in my home. Click Here

9. Nan
    June 9, 2014 / 12:04 pm

Wow. Love all your projects.

• January 26, 2015 / 5:17 pm

Thanks Raquel! Nice to hear about brazilian readers!

10. December 16, 2015 / 4:54 pm

Your stuff are more than wow! And also the best way to make understand the things mentioned in it paper lamp shade idea is awesome.

11. Anonymous
    June 21, 2017 / 1:19 pm

Is there not a fire hazard with wood, card and plastic? Bulbs can create a lot of heat. How do you make sure it is fire proof as well as beautiful? And it is really beautiful!

• June 29, 2017 / 2:48 pm

For all my lighting projects, I use energy saving bulb or LED bulb. They don't heat and are much safer…and ecological.